Illinois: Why You Should Carry a Firearm for Self-Defense
Article first appeared at Ammo Land.
Illinois –-(Ammoland.com)-Recently I purchased a new DVD from the USCCA entitled “Armed and Ready “. I will use some of the statistics from the DVD to remind you why it is important to carry a firearm for self-defense. I would like to encourage you to become a USCCA member and want to impress upon you the predicament law-abiding citizens find themselves in. These statistics are for the United States.
- Each year there are about 6.8 million crimes committed, but only 50% of them are reported. That is about 776 per hour.
- There are 250 million calls made to 911 centers each year. Of these, only 1 in 20 can count on authorities to arrive in time to make a difference.
- The average crime takes only 90 seconds, from beginning to end. The average response time is 10 minutes.
- There are 2 million home invasions per year and someone is home 50% of the time.
- There are 250,000 reported rapes per year. There are 50,000 rapists in prison at any one time. The average prison term for rape is six years. Rapists are very likely to be repeat offenders.
There is much more included in the eight part “Armed and Ready” series, and it is well worth the money and time to watch it. It is worthwhile to remember that when a crime occurs, usually the only people there are the intended victims and the criminal. It is going to be up to you. The Lone Ranger retired some time ago.
This week we have seen more terrorist attacks in the United Kingdom, Australia and France. The weapons used were knives, a hammer, and vehicles; common items that are very effective against a disarmed population. A society of marshmallows is always going to be easy. I often talk about turning yourself into a “hard target”. In the United States, we see thugs attacking innocent citizens, but more of those citizens are turning themselves into a hard target.
We will undoubtedly see more terrorist attacks in Europe, around the world, and here in the United States. In Europe and much of the world, the people have given up their rights and their means of self-defense and now depend on the government to take care of them. If you noticed the statements of the European politicians, they aren’t as enthusiastic about defending their citizens as they should be. In the United States, we have our share of marshmallows but we have many rocks among them.
Next Wednesday is Flag Day. Make sure you fly your flag. Not only is it the right thing to do, it irritates the left-wing crowd.