Poll: Two-Thirds of Americans Say ‘Self-Defense’ Main Reason to Buy Gun
Article first appeared at Ammo Land.
Washington DC – -(Ammoland.com)- An April 13 2016 Rasmussen Reports released a poll showing that two-thirds of Americans believe “self-defense” is the main reason to buy a gun.
Only five percent tied gun purchases to criminal intentions and one percent believed guns were purchased for work-related requirements.
According to Rasmussen, Republicans and “unaffiliateds” continue to be aligned in the conviction that there is enough gun control at the point of sale. Only 28 percent of Republicans and “36 percent of those not affiliated with either major party” believe more gun control is needed at the point of sale, while 64 percent of Democrats believe more gun control is needed at point of sale.
It is interesting to note that 23 percent of Americans say “they or someone in their immediate family bought a gun during the past year.” In this category, Democrats are aligned with the rest of America. Twenty-one percent of Democrats say “they or someone in their immediate family bought a gun during the past year.”
This Rasmussen poll comes on the heels of FBI figures showing that March 2016 was the 11th consecutive month of record background checks for gun sales.