The Truth About Gun Violence
Article first appeared at Ammo Land.
U.S.A. –-(Ammoland.com)- The sources for this article is all published data. I’ve even added a reading list for those skeptics who want to learn more. Let’s look at the actual numbers.
- 53% of all firearm-related murders are by black men under 30. That’s 3% of the population doing more than ½ of the killing.
- 80%+ of all FRM (Firearm-Related Murders) are gang or drug related. (Most current numbers are 86%)
- 51% of all FRM happen in 2% of the counties.
- 54% of all counties had ZERO murders.
So let’s be blunt. Murders with guns a rare and an unlikely event unless you live in an inner city, are dealing drugs, or you belong to a gang.
What happens to the murder rate in the US if you eliminate Gang and Drug related murders? If you do this, the U.S. has one of the lowest murder rates in the world!
The math isn’t hard to do to. According to the FBI, there are 8,124 murders with guns every year. Now remove the drug and gang related shooting, and that number drops to about 1,137.
Now look at the murder rate by country, the US goes from 12,2053 to about 5,253. Our murder rate per million drops for around 4 per million to 1.5 per million. The US looks a lot more like Canada than anyone else.
98% of the U.S. has the same murder rate as Canada.
I gave a draft of this article to some liberal anti-gun associates, below I address their concerns.
Suicides: To be frank – I ignore suicides. Japan and South Korea have suicide rates double that of the U.S. and both countries have almost total bans on private ownership of firearms. The US ranks around 50th in suicides. If banning guns prevented suicides how can you explain this? You cannot.
Assault Weapons: Let’s face facts, Adam Lanza was alone in a classroom with helpless children for almost 11 minutes before the police arrived, the same for the Pulse Night Club and San Bernardino shooters. Every life matters and every loss tears the heart out of our nation. These killers chose unarmed, unprotected individuals, any gun (or in Lanza’s case knife or bat) would have done. If I thought restrictions would have worked, I’d support them. The left sees restrictions and a gun ban as Marley’s ghost offering to redeem our souls. In reality, they are just lowering a lance and charging a windmill.
Violence against women: This came from a lesbian friend who sees EVERYTHING and every problem as the oppression of women by meat eating white men. For her, I’ll offer this table to the right. The problem is we have two Americas.
Urban drug and gang infested America VS everything else.
If you don’t live in a ghetto, and you don’t deal drugs or break the law, then the U.S. is a great place to live. We (I live in everything else world) do not have a gun problem. There are 110 MILLION legal gun owners and most live in that nice safe world. Heck, let’s be honest and call it “NRA-America ” Vs “Urban-Crime-Land.”
“Urban-Crime-Land” has the gun problem. The solution is invariable; jobs, education, and a future that turns the youth there away from violence. The only politician to offer that is hated by the population of Urban-Land. Overlay the by county results of the 2016 election with the chart above, and you’ll see what I mean. The counties with the highest murder rate all supported Hillary. They all voted for the status quo and against a real future for their children.
I’m sure someone will object and say the colors are different, but the correlation is obvious. Live in a high murder rate county, and you voted for Hillary.
So a frank look at the facts about gun violence from the demographics of who is getting killed and who is doing the killing and the left will simply call you a racist. I see it differently, if you’re not honest about what happening how can you ever hope to solve the problem?
- Let’s say if you’re a gang member or drug dealer and you shoot someone you get 25 years in a federal prison, having a gun illegally in your possession 15 years. Criminals are immoral, not stupid. The threat of real prison time will change their behavior.
- We should cut foreign aid 10% and reinvest that money in the schools and infrastructure in urban-land. Charity begins at home. America first, needs to mean Americans 1st. Education equals a future other than crime. Sure maybe we do vocational training or seed money to start small businesses. Break the cycle of poverty.
I know right… two simple solutions, but they address the cause of the problem. Democratically run communities are taxed out, and they are also the ones who have more crime. So because they’re broke, they have revolving door prisons to keep the budget numbers for incarcerations down. The result is more crime and a downward spiral that destroys their community.
So go ahead lefties, call me a racist for challenging the status quo and wanting a better life for my countrymen. I’ll read your comments over the next few days.
- The FBU Unified Crime Report. ucr.fbi.gov/ucr
- ‘The crime prevention research center. crimeresearch.org
- List of countries by intentional homicide rate, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Murder Rate for Black Americans Is Four Times the National Average; from The Huffington Post.
- Crime in black and white; Columbia.edu
- New Data: It’s Still about Black-on-Black Crime; The National Review.
About Don McDougall:
Don McDougall is an NRA instructor and member of the Los Padres “Friends of the NRA” committee. If he’s not at the range you will find him setting the record straight with on gun issues and gun safety on AmmoLand Shooting Sports News.