NC: GOA WINS BIG AND RALLY TO PROTECT THE 2A
Gun owners continue to win big in the Tar Heel State!
We recently informed you that, in response to litigation filed by Gun Owners of America (GOA) and Grass Roots North Carolina (GRNC) regarding delays in handgun permits, a Superior Court judge last month issued a preliminary injunction enjoining Mecklenburg County Sheriff Garry McFadden from further delays.
Now, a June 8, 2022 consent order issued against McFadden requires the sheriff:
- To process NC pistol purchase permit applications within the 14 calendar days required by law, and issue permits to qualified applicants immediately as required under G.S. 14-404(f).
- To take fingerprints on the same day that a concealed handgun applicant presents at the sheriff’s office for fingerprinting.
- To make all requests for mental health records for concealed handgun applicants within 10 calendar days of receiving the application, as required by G.S. 14-415.15(a);
- To issue or deny concealed handgun applications within 45 calendar days and receipt of mental health records, as required by G.S. 14-415(a); and
- Further enjoins McFadden from otherwise violating state law with respect to issuing pistol purchase permits and concealed handgun permits.
To see a copy of the final decree, go here.
While this ruling only pertains to Mecklenburg County Sheriff Garry McFadden and his office, there is NO REASON ALL 100 North Carolina County Sheriffs cannot do the same or better. In fact, if you’re continuing to have problems with either Pistol Purchase or Concealed Handgun Permits across North Carolina, do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected] with the particulars of your situation.
Show Your Pro-Gun Support in Raleigh
In other news, our friends at Grass Roots North Carolina (GRNC) are planning a demonstration outside Senator Thom Tillis’ Raleigh District Office. As you know, Senator Tillis has been thrilled to seek a bipartisan compromise with his anti-gun, leftist colleagues on “common sense gun safety” (aka infringements) for some time. He seems thrilled to be in the limelight again. We need to send him an immediate wakeup call and remind him he wasn’t elected to capitulate to anti-gun, leftist demands.
Additional details will be announced soon, but here is the critical information:
Where: 310 New Bern Avenue, Raleigh, NC
When: Friday June 17th, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
You can visit GRNC’s website (GRNC.org) for updates as well.
As you make plans to attend this Raleigh demonstration, go ahead and let Senators Tillis and Burr know you will not support further infringements on the rights of ALL lawful citizens to keep and bear arms. Please contact Senators Burr and Tillis here.
Finally, I will be in Raleigh on Friday the 17th at 10:00am. Come join me as we remind Senator Tillis we will allow no more infringements to our right to keep and bear arms.
North Carolina State Director
Gun Owners of America
Article by Andy Stevens